Garden Junk

A community of garden artists
Welcome to Garden Junk Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Magic Milk Shakes

Last post 01-23-2009, 5:47 PM by carlean_mawmaw. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-06-2009, 1:02 PM 5282

Magic Milk Shakes

No ice cream necessary..

Found this one on the Hillbilly Housewife site

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com

This is one of my go-to recipes.. a HUGE hit all the way around..

I use Milk flavored Morning Moo from Bluechip Group (a low fat powdered milk product.. not non-fat... but with the corn oil in the recipe,

I'm sure it'd turn out just as good with regular non-fat powdered milk..

Enjoy!

Magic Milk Shakes

• 1 1/2 to 2 C. ice water
    • 1 1/2 C nonfat dry milk powder
    • 2/3 C Sugar
    • 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
    • 1 t vanilla
    • 1 to 1 1/2 trays of ice cubes, as much as you can spare
    • 2 T corn oil PLUS a 5 to 10 sec squirt of non-stick spray for emulsification purposes (will NOT work w/o the non-stick spray!)

(I've found that as an alternative to the 2/3 C Sugar and 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa ... 2/3 C + 1/4 to 1/2 C Nestle' Quik works great as well)

put the ice water in the blender, place lid on, and start 'er up.. take off the lid while still running and add the rest of the liquid ingredients.. then slowly add the dry ingredients and the non-stick spray (DON'T forget the non-stick spray)..put the lid back on, removing the middle piece... then slowly add the ice through the hole in the lid .. ( I do it in this order, because then the dry ingredients won't stick to the sides of the blender container... thus eliminating the need to use a rubber/silicone spatula scrapper to incorporate said ingredients)... process for a full 2 min... (or til good and thick and you don't hear ice chunks).. Makes 4 - 12 oz. servings.

Side note: can be made with Splenda replacing the sugar measure for measure

Variations:

• Add 1 T instant coffee for a mocha shake
    • Add 1 very ripe banana for a chocolate banana shake
    • Add a big spoonful of peanut butter for a decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake
    • Add a few broken red and white candy mints for a refreshing Chocolate Mint shake
    • To make Vanilla Milk Shakes, omit the cocoa powder, reduce the sugar to 1/2 C and add 1 T (yes a full T) of vanilla flavoring.  For a french vanilla milk shake crack in an egg too.

'Nother side note: I had some of this left one night and stored it in the fridge.. it froze up and made a fantastic ice cream substitute.. kind of an ice cream slushie... GREAT!

Makes a very rich milk shake without any ice cream and for a fraction of the cost using ingredients on the pantry shelf.

YUM!   ;) Lesa  

•  01-14-2009, 4:56 PM 5379 in reply to 5282

Re: Magic Milk Shakes

Thanks for posting this.  I'm going to pick up some powdered milk and give this a try. I love shakes, but we never have ice cream here...(heart healthy diet restrictions).
  •  01-23-2009, 5:47 PM 5409 in reply to 5379

Re: Magic Milk Shakes

This was a good sight,I found a few I am going to try.Thanks.
View as RSS news feed in XML