Garden Junk

A community of garden artists
Welcome to Garden Junk Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Customer

Last post 11-17-2009, 9:07 AM by Beloved. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-28-2007, 1:30 PM 1942

The Customer

Inspite of store policy at most businesses, I am here to declare that

The customer is NOT always right!

There.  I feel better.

•  02-28-2007, 1:45 PM 1948 in reply to 1942

Re: The Customer

Very true... but where I work we have to PRETEND that they are...then I can go into my office and snarl at them...lolol
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

http://wrightspecialties.blogspot.com/
    http://vimeo.com/2163435
  •  02-28-2007, 2:08 PM 1956 in reply to 1948

Last night I mixed paint for a customer.  When she went to check out, she said she knocked the can against the belt table and the lid flew off.  She was covered in paint and one register is down because of the mess. Tongue Tied  So she tells my boss that I did not hammer the lid on.  Oh, but I DID.  Manager was clearly upset.  Funny thing was....she had the paint all over her.  But still....I got the blame.  Everyone makes mistakes.  This one, I did NOT make.  Oh well.  All in a day's work, I guess.  (I didn't go in today) Stick out tongue
  •  02-28-2007, 2:48 PM 1969 in reply to 1942

Oh, boy, we all get them, don't we!  And it's a standard joke around here, to beware around the time of the full moon.    Good for you, take a day off to spend with us...                                                                 Pat

•  03-01-2007, 6:36 PM 2076 in reply to 1969

They say it takes all kinds of people in the world to live but boy some of them sure make you go ggrrrrrrrrrrrrr don't they.   Put your feet up and have a coffee and think nice thoughts and hope she got it in her hair lol lol  - BELLA
  •  03-03-2007, 9:46 AM 2191 in reply to 1942

I'm so sorry you had to deal with one of these types. And darned

if they aren't everywhere.

If I had to guess, she keyed off the lid to make sure the color would

match her curtains or something, and SHE didn't hammer the lid back.

With any luck, she'll get hers by spilling the entire bucket on her carpet.

Smile

Karen Marie (who can have a nasty streak)

You are who you are
    when you are content
    with who you are not.
  •  03-06-2007, 9:45 PM 2306 in reply to 2191

When I worked the front desk at a resort lodge, the customer was always right.......right!!  A lady showed up on a fully booked weekend an insisted she had a reservation..nope she wasn't in the computer. So after she vented in the front lobby, we asked her to bring in the information she used to make it. She huffed out to her car and threw the book at us. She had a reservation alright, in Michigan, not Virginia........We found her a room at another motel, she left so red faced, the worst thing she was a no-show in Michigan and was charged. They are not always right!! 
  •  03-12-2007, 11:16 PM 2462 in reply to 2306

Boy can I relate. We have a home based business. Our hours on Saturdays are from 9 - 12 noon. Weekdays from 9 - 5:30. Last Saturday a regular customer called at 12:10 that he was coming for his snowmobile and was on his way. He showed up at 4:30. Saturday afternoons and Sundays are the only days we have time to do things like clean barns, or haul hay etc on our farm. This customer routinely does this, calls that he's on his way at most a 30 minute drive and shows up hours later. As soon as the snow goes we are hanging gates on our gateposts and running a fence so that people cannot drive around the gates. I live in a constant state of tension wondering when the next customer will show up. We've had them come as early as 6 a.m. and as late as 11 p.m.
  •  03-23-2007, 4:29 AM 2663 in reply to 2462

I can surely relate to all of these posts!  I'm a retail manager and I think I could write a book with all of my stories! Devil
  •  05-08-2007, 6:37 PM 3500 in reply to 2663

I really fully appreciate the point of few that customers expect too much, or that they do it for amusement because they are bored and need to inflate their poor self esteem...but what about the stores that don't train their employees properly?

Even my children that don't work in the store can find a price faster than the store employee speaks for something! Take the product to the scanner and scan it for the client if you can't see the price written anywhere. (Yes, the store actually was equiped with scanners, and the UPC was on the item)

Even if the employee doesn't know the answer there is a proper way to handle the situation rather than looking like you are lost in space and saying " I just started working here", yes that is fine, keep you excuse to yourself and go find out the answer for the customer. Clearly the company did not train you properly for your job if excuses are your first response. ....grr............grrrrr............grrrrrrr...................or you should never have been hired in the first place.

Oops, sorry for my rant, though it happened recently that an older woman in a wheelchair asked the price of the lipstick and it was my daughter that gave her the answer while the employee looked lost in space. The clerk was wearing a uniform, my daughter was wearing an outdoor jacket. My daugther used to work in a drugstore and people praised her for her efficient service even though sometimes she left the customer to find out the right answer. It's the people who don't really care that irritate me....and don't be talking to your friends on a cell phone if you are serving a client!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR.....

Live and learn, as it keeps life interesting!
  •  11-17-2009, 8:55 AM 6023 in reply to 3500

Customers are rarely right. 

I used to work for a chain over here, the customers I loved [^o) ]getting were ones that insisted that they had rung me and that I had told them we had whatever they wanted and I would keep it for them ready to be picked up.  This happened more than once.  The customer would come in asking for whatever it was and for me by name - I would know nothing about it.  They'd say what day they rang, was always a day I hadn't worked, call me a liar and get really cranky.  I would just ask them to wait while I made a phone call to check on it and I'd ring another store, ask for a certain staff member and ask if she had anything on hold for this customer.  It was hard to cover my glee when I informed the customer that they had spoken to Cheryl at Bankstown and not me, Cheryl at Blacktown.   The looks on their faces as they realised they were in the wrong  was very rewarding. 

I now work for the opposition, and recently had a customer insist I ring our Bondi store to order something for her, I told her that we didn't have a store in Bondi and that I think she would find it was the other place.  She got really cranky telling me that she had been there and we did have a branch there, she wouldn't even believe me when I showed her our latest brochure that had all of our stores on it.  Told me that the printers had left it off.  She ended up telling me that she was going to the store to prove me wrong and I would be hearing back from her - 6 months later still waitingCrying.

Lady Helen I hear your rant, I always prided myself on trying to get answers for queries if I didn't know them.  I learnt by listening, doing etc and ended up being able to work every section in the store.  I was recently in one of the branches of the old place I worked in, I asked a staff member who was in the yarn section if she knew where a particular yarn was.  Her exact words to me where "I don't know nuffing about the yarn section".   I had already been gobsmacked by the service from another employee a few moments before.  I had seen a beautiful knitted top and asked if they had the pattern for it.  She snapped at me "You can't just have the pattern, it's in a book and you have to pay for the book" before turning to walk off.  I practically had to demand to know which book it was in, she grabbed a book off a shelf and dumped it on the counter.  Said shelf was behind the counter,  meaning I wouldn't have been able to find it myself.  Needless to say after the service I got, I stood in the store and rang my workplace to see if we had it, we did so I waited til my next shift even though I had wanted to start on it. 

•  11-17-2009, 9:07 AM 6024 in reply to 2462

Sheeplady2e:
    Boy can I relate. We have a home based business. Our hours on Saturdays are from 9 - 12 noon. Weekdays from 9 - 5:30. Last Saturday a regular customer called at 12:10 that he was coming for his snowmobile and was on his way. He showed up at 4:30. Saturday afternoons and Sundays are the only days we have time to do things like clean barns, or haul hay etc on our farm. This customer routinely does this, calls that he's on his way at most a 30 minute drive and shows up hours later. As soon as the snow goes we are hanging gates on our gateposts and running a fence so that people cannot drive around the gates. I live in a constant state of tension wondering when the next customer will show up. We've had them come as early as 6 a.m. and as late as 11 p.m.

It makes you wonder, whether they think we have a life.  I always wonder at the customers who come in 5 minutes before closing time wanting to curtain their whole house.

One of my cousins worked for a trade company, his home phone number was put their advert for standard afterhours calls.  One night at 3 am he gets a phone call from a man who told him "I was reading the paper on the toilet and I saw your ad".  My cousin told him to "wipe his --- and go to bed" before hanging up. 

View as RSS news feed in XML